Equal Opportunity, Discrimination & Harassment
Rights and Responsibilities
Students can expect that the University of Melbourne will seek to provide the following:
- A study environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and abuse of power, and one which respects the privacy of individuals.
- Treatment of students with courtesy and respect.
- Equitably treatment irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, cultural background, disability, marital status, age or political conviction.
- The right to express dissent or political and religious views and the right to engage in peaceful protest, subject to complying with the laws of Australia and not endangering the safety of other students, staff or members of the community.
During their enrolment, the University of Melbourne expects students to assume the following responsibilities;
- To treat staff and other students with respect and courtesy.
- To treat other members of the University community equitably irrespective of cultural background, disability, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or political conviction.
- To respect the rights of other members of the University community to express dissent or different political or religious views, subject to those actions or views complying with the laws of Australia and not endangering the safety of other members of the community.
- To show awareness of and sensitivity towards other cultures.
- To respect the opinions of others and engage in rational debate in areas of disagreement.