Occupational Health and Safety Policy
The Faculty of Music shall develop and maintain on a continuing basis systems and procedures in Operational Health and Safety, to ensure a safe and healthy environment for staff and students.
The University of Melbourne Faculty of Music fosters a culture of reflection and review by ensuring the regular review and upkeep of our policy documents, the creation and ongoing development of safe systems of work and procedures, as well as ensuring the education and training of personnel in all relevant materials pertaining to their area of occupational health safety and the environment.
The Faculty is forever seeking to update our procedures so as to accurately reflect the Faculty of Music’s occupational health and safety ethos. This is to ensure the members of the occupational health and safety teams are at an outstanding and vibrant level, with compliance to the Australian/New Zealand Standards 4804:2001; Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems – General Guidelines on Principles, Systems and Supporting Techniques.
Our Safety Objectives are:
- Establish and maintain an Occupational Health and Safety Management System that facilitates a structured approach to the management of occupational health and safety risk.
- Provide adequate human, financial and time resources to ensure the effectiveness and sustainability of the system.
- Keep up-to-date with relevant health and safety legislative obligations. Achieve and maintain compliance with these obligations.
- Promote a safety culture that encourages people to proactively manage health and safety risk through education, instruction, information and supervision.
- Clearly define and communicate to staff, students and contractors their responsibilities in relation to health and safety.
- Proactively identify and manage health and safety risk via a documented hazard identification, risk assessment, risk control and monitoring process.
- Improve processes that ensure that incidents and hazards are promptly reported, investigated where appropriate, and control measures put in place to eliminate or minimize the chance of a repeat event.
- Maintain the building infrastructure, plant and equipment in a safe condition with documented safe systems of work.
- Routinely monitor and review OHS performance to achieve continual improvement.
The health and safety of staff and students who use the Faculty's facilities is important to us all. Please be sure you:
- do not leave instrument cases or bags in the corridors where others may trip over them, or across doorways where they may obstruct exit
- do not attempt to shift a piano, even a short distance: such movements have to be arranged by the General Manager and his staff. Serious back and other injuries can easily be sustained when piano movements are not properly handled
- do not engage in bullying, threatening or violent behaviour likely to cause stress to other students, Faculty office staff or academic staff. This includes the sending of bullying or threatening e-mails.